Let me preface the following article by saying that it becomes more and more obvious with every day that passes that we live in a broken world in need of a Savior! That’s not new news, but it seems more pointed every day. We pray daily for so many of you – our dear friends and ministers of God that we already have met through the years of ministry – who fight the good fight: we pray for strength, endurance, and everlasting grace from the Lord in all you are doing to present the Gospel, raise your children, fight for your health, improve your health, keep raising your children even after they’ve “left the nest”, reach and save the lost, equip the saints, and fight for the innocent! We say to you: “Keep on keeping on – in HIM!”
Sheryl and I and Yvonne all continue to praise the Lord for His guidance and provision in our lives and ministry as we prepare this special place for our Christian leaders and the Christian community here at SonShine Oaks Retreat. A place of rest and renewal is coming soon to Wadmalaw Island, SC and we are excited to share this with all whom God will lead here! Whether coming for a time of refreshing, or a time of encouragement in God’s Word, or just a pause from the daily routine to relax and enjoy His goodness, we will strive to make your stay profitable for the sake of the Kingdom!
Since arrival here to the place God provided – 13 beautiful acres filled with wonders of His creation, and a lot of peace, quiet, and solitude, we have been busy working hard to prepare the Retreat for “official” use! Here’s a quick partial list of how we’ve been spending our days:
- moved two families and all ministry belongings from Colorado to South Carolina
- moved into the host residence
- furnished and equipped the two guest cottages
- found a local church body that honors and upholds the Word of God and works to bring the church community into a closer walk with our Lord
- worked with a builder and the County to provide a legal “permit” for one of the cottages that was not permitted when originally improved by previous property owners
- subdivided the property into two lots to solve a zoning non-conformity issue
- met with and gotten to know lots of our neighbors
- found local sources of good real food and other needed services
- deepened our knowledge and understanding of better health and wellness solutions
- brought in tons of “shell sand” to improve the drive and parking areas
- worked with a local marketing agency to create a new website: www.SonShineOaksRetreat.org
- set up connections with Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Pinterest
- begun to make plans and raise funds for the Chapel HOPE that we’d love to create here near the old cemetery on the property
- begun plans and action for making the Retreat friendly to those who may come with special physical needs . . . i.e. wheelchair and the like . . . with hard-surface paths, proper door widths, accommodating restroom and cooking facilities, ramps, etc.
Along the way, in between all that, we’ve tried to get to know our new surroundings, meet neighbors, make friends, help anyone that God sends our way, and discover the people, culture, and history that is so intriguing here in the south! We’re excited to share what we’ve learned and experienced so far.
Pray that God will continue to lead the right people needed to help with the process. We are finding out that folks down here in the “low country” south are to a large degree on “island time”! Things just take a little longer. We keep asking God to hurry things along and give us patience at the same time. But we know His timing is best. We have a sign that reads:
“Wadmalaw Island – where we start out slow . . . and taper off from there.”
If you found this some other way than through our website, we invite you to visit our new website at www.sonshineoaksretreat.org! Or check us out on Facebook!
May God Bless and Keep you all in His loving hands,